- Salvador Gomez presented a Caltech Science Journey, entitled “Fluid Dynamics: from Disturbances to Turbulence” . This program reaches an audience aimed at 8th grade and above. 11/20/20
Prof. McKeon is the 2021-2023 Chair of the U.S. National Committee on Theoretical & Applied Mechanics (US/NCTAM). 11/1/20
- McKeon group members are participating in Caltech’s Future Ignited event , targeted to increase representation in STEM, on October 17, 2020. 10/07/20
- Sydney Richardson, who undertook a SURF in the McKeon group this summer was featured in the Caltech magazine . 8/24/20
- We wrapped up another summer AMP program ! 8/21/20
- Dory, Jacque and Miles participated in the STEAM Trio event for the Newark, NJ, school system. 8/15/20
- Dory Castillo, who is working on analysis of turbulent channel flow in the group this summer, was featured in the Rutgers University Newark News ! 7/28/20
- Our lab featured on the Veritasium channel in an item entitled Turbulent Flow is MORE Awesome Than Laminar Flow. We agree! 7/1/20
- Congratulations to Rahul Arun, a rising senior advised by Prof. McKeon and Prof. Ames who is performing research in the McKeon group, on winning Henry Ford II Scholar Award ! 5/28/20
- Congratulations, Dr. McMullen! Ryan successfully defended his thesis, entitled “Aspects of reduced-order modeling of turbulent channel flows: From linear mechanisms to data-driven approaches”. 5/15/20
- The group held “Coherent Day”, a virtual retreat, with a special guest appearance by Prof. Steve Brunton from the University of Washington! 5/1/20
- Professor McKeon was elected a Fellow of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) [AIAA press release] 2/3/20
- Check out the recent group outreach activities! 1/31/20
- Ryan McMullen was one of the recipients of the Shirley Thomas Academic Scholarship from the Aerospace Historical Society. Congratulations, Ryan! [Award Photo] 1/26/20
- Our paper on resolvent analysis for compressible turbulent boundary layers (Bae, Dawson & McKeon) made the cover of the Journal of Fluid Mechanics. Well done, Jane! 1/1/20
- The group presented at the 2019 APS Division of Fluid Dynamics Annual Meeting in Seattle. 12/11/19
- A recent paper was covered in the press. 11/5/19
- Base-11 reported on the AMP Fellows from summer 2019. 9/12/19
- Our terrific summer undergraduate students completed and presented their projects.
- McKeon group grads 2019! 6/14/19
- What a great GALCIT awards ceremony. Here is a picture of this year’s GALCIT award winners from the group! 6/13/19
- Congratulations to Salvador Gomez on receiving the Rolf D. Buhler Award, awarded to a student in the Aeronautics Master's Program whose academic performance was exemplary and who shows high potential for future achievements at Caltech. 6/13/19
- Congratulations to Morgan Hooper on receiving the Ernest E. Sechler Memorial Award for contributions to the GALCIT teaching and research effort! 6/13/19
- Congratulations to Simon Toedtli on being recognized along with fellow Space Challenge organizer Fabien Royer with the Charles Babcock Memorial Award for contributions to the GALCIT program! 6/13/19
- More congratulations to David Huynh, who also received the Donald Coles Prize, awarded to the graduating Ph.D. student in Aeronautics whose thesis displays the best design of an experiment or the best design for a piece of experimental equipment. 6/13/19
- David Huynh was a 2019 recipient of the Richard B. Chapman Memorial Prize, given to an EAS graduate student in hydrodynamics who has distinguished himself or herself in research. Congratulations, David! 6/10/19
- Congratulations, Dr. Huynh! David successfully defended his thesis, entitled “Spatio-Temporal Response of a Compliant-Wall, Turbulent Boundary Layer System to Dynamic Roughness Forcing” 4/16/19
- Simon Toedtli is a co-organizer of the Caltech Space Challenge.
- Congratulations, Dr. Morgan! Jonathan successfully defended his thesis entitled “Linear and Nonlinear Interactions in a Rough-Wall Turbulent Boundary Layer”. 3/25/19
- The McKeon Lab appears in the latest Caltech Campaign Videos! Take a look at Infinite Possibilities.
- The group participated in a series of outreach events. Check out the Outreach page for photos from Reverse Engineering, the Genius Girls Gathering and Science for March 2019.
- CONGRATULATIONS to Dr. Tess Saxton-Fox for successfully defending her thesis.
- David Huynh gave a TED-style talk on mentoring and opportunities in aerospace as part of the Caltech/Base-11 AMP program 9/7/17
- Professor McKeon gave an invited plenary talk at the Turbulent Shear Flow Phenomena 10 symposium in Chicago, entitled “Synthesizing turbulence”.
- Ben and Morgan received their M.S. degrees in Aeronautics at today’s Commencement ceremony, and Esteban received his Ph.D. Ben also received the Rolf D. Buhler Memorial Award in Aeronautics for exemplary academic performance in the Aeronautics M.S. program, and Maysam was awarded the Charles Babcock Memorial Award for achievements in teaching and contributions to the academic program. Congratulations, all!
- Professor McKeon is thrilled to have received the 2016-17 Graduate Student Council Mentoring Award
- Professor McKeon is the recipient of the 2016 Fred Shair Program Diversity Award
- CONGRATULATIONS to Dr. Esteban Hufstedler on his successful thesis defense!
- Professor McKeon has been named by the Department of Defense (DoD) as a 2017 Vannevar Bush Faculty Fellow
- GALCIT’s partnership with Base-11 appears in a New York Times Higher Education section story on innovative skills gap-bridging programs.
- McKeon group members presented at the APS-DFD meeting in Portland.
- Professor McKeon was elected Fellow of the American Physical Society
- Congratulations to our graduates! At Commencement today, Reeve and Subbu received their PhDs, and Maysam and Simon the M.S. in Aeronautics.
- Congratulations to Dr. Subrahmanyam Duvvuri for successfully defending his thesis.
- Professor McKeon has been appointed to the Editorial Committee of the Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics.
- Professor McKeon was featured on Radio Eireann.
- CONGRATULATIONS to Dr. Reeve Dunne for successfully defending his thesis.
- Professor McKeon became an Editor-in-Chief of Experimental and Thermal Fluid Science.
- David Huynh received the Shirley Thomas Scholarship from the Aerospace Historical Society during the 31st Annual International von Karman Wings Award dinner. The scholarship is awarded annually to a student in aerospace engineering or a related science that shows promise for continued future contributions to the field. Congratulations, David!
- The sustainability implications of our work on turbulent drag reduction were featured in a Thomson Reuters documentary on the Resnick Institute.
- Professor McKeon has been appointed to the Editorial Advisory Board of the AIAA Journal.
- Professor McKeon was the first guest in new feature on Amy Poehler's Smart Girls, Experimenting with Megan Amram
- Professor McKeon has been appointed to the Editorial Advisory Board of Physics of Fluids and will serve as an Associate Editor, effective January 1st 2014.
- Professor McKeon was elected as an Associate Fellow of the American Institute of Aeronauticss and Astronautics (AIAA).
- The work of the McKeon group was featured in an article in Engenious.
- Dr. McKeon's work with Dr. Ati Sharma was featured in a Focus on Fluids article in the Journal of Fluid Mechanics written by Prof. Joe Klewicki of the Universities of New Hampshire and Melbourne.
- Dr. McKeon presented an invited talk, entitled "A systems approach to wall turbulence", at the 14th European Turbulence Conference (ETC-14) in Lyon, France.
- Professor McKeon joined the Editorial Advisory Board of Experiments in Fluids.
- Dr. McKeon presented an invited talk, entitled "Morphing surfaces for flow control", at the 8th World Congress on Experimental Heat Transfer, Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics in Lisbon, Portugal
- Congratulations to our award winners! Ian Jacobi received the Richard B. Chapman Memorial Award in hydrodynamics, http://eas.caltech.edu/news/568, and shared the Donald Coles Prize. Subbu Duvvuri shared the Charles Babcock Memorial Award.
- Dr. McKeon was elected to the Executive Committee of the APS Division of Fluid Dynamics.
- Congratulations to Dr. Jean-Loup Bourguingnon on his successful defense of his thesis.
- Congratulations to Subrahmanyam who has been awarded a Resnick Fellowship.
- Today Dr. McKeon presents the Applied Mathematics Colloquium, 4pm in 105 Annenberg, her talk is entitled "Deconstructing (and Reconstructing) Wall Turbulence: A Systems Approach"
- Today Dr. McKeon delivered the Frosh Camp "Science Talk" to the incoming year of Caltech Undergraduates.
- Congratulations to Dr. Ian Jacobi for successfully defending his thesis.
- Congratulations to Dr. Jeff Lehew who collected his PhD at Caltech's Commencement ceremony.
- Professor McKeon delivered today's Watson Lecture, entitled "Taming Turbulence". The lecture may be downloaded in HD from Caltech's iTunesU site.
- Dr. McKeon gave an invited lecture, entitled "Experimental manipulation of wall-bounded flows", at the 64th APS-DFD meeting in Baltimore, MD.
- Second NSF workshop on "Friction: A Grand Challenge at the Interface of Solid and Fluid Mechanics" will be held May 13-15, 2011, in Pasadena (P.I. Beverley McKeon). Visit the website.
- Congratulations to Jeff LeHew on his election as an NSF East Asia & Pacific Summer Institutes (EAPSI) Fellow. He will work in the laboratory of Professor Haecheon Choi at Seoul National University for eight weeks this summer.
- Center for Bioinspired Engineering goes online.
- Dr. McKeon and the group ran some visualizations of flow over the new World Cup soccer ball, the Jabulani, and received wide press coverage (e.g. 1).
- Congratulations to Drs. Adam Norman and Dennice Gayme on their graduation.
- At the 2010 GALCIT Awards Ceremony Adam Norman won the Donald Coles Prize for the best design of an experiment and Jeff LeHew won the Charles D. Babcock Award for Teaching for his TA efforts in Ae104. Congratulations!
- Dr. McKeon attended the Presidential Early Career Awards for Scientists and Engineers Ceremony in Washington, D.C. See photos of her receiving the award and meeting the President here and press releases from the White House and AFOSR
- GALCIT Awards 2009: Congratulations to Ian Jacobi, who won the Charles D. Babcock Award for Teaching for his TA efforts in Ae101.
- Caltech Classroom Connection visited the laboratories. See photos of Jean-Loup and Laura in action!
- Dr. McKeon participated in the Sally Ride Science Festival at Caltech. See photos of her workshop, entitled "Flying in Honey".
- NSF workshop on "Friction: A Grand Challenge at the Interface of Solid and Fluid Mechanics" was held March 13-16, 2008, in Montreux, Switzerland (P.I. Beverley McKeon). Visit the website.
- See the announcement of the issue of the Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A on 'Scaling and structure in high Reynolds number wall-bounded flows' guest-edited by Beverley McKeon.